Complaints procedure

What you need to do
You can raise your concerns immediately with the person concerned or the Team Leader. They may be able to resolve your concerns without the need to make a formal complaint.

If you wish to make a formal complaint you must put the complaint in writing to the practice Complaints administrator Dr C J MacDonald

What is the time limit for making a complaint?
You would normally complain within 12 months of the event(s) concerned or within 12 months of becoming aware that you have something to complain about. If you have a good reason for not complaining earlier discretion may be exercised to waive the time limit.

What we shall do

  • We aim to resolve problems informally and amicably
  • We will maintain your confidentiality at all times
  • We will try to resolve all verbal complaints within 24hours. If we are unable to do this we will agree a timescale with you
  • We will acknowledge your written complaint in writing within 3 working days
  • We will investigate your complaint and agree a response time with you (usually 28 days)
  • If we are unable to complete the investigation within the response time agreed an explanation will be offered.
  • Following our enquiries, we will either offer a written explanation or a meeting to discuss the outcome of the investigation
  • We will further write to you to ensure that your concerns have been addressed and advise you on your choices if you feel we haven’t dealt with your complaint fully.

Complaining on behalf of someone else
Relatives or carers can complain on behalf of a person.  Please note that we keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality.  If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have his or her permission to do so.  A form signed by the person concerned must be completed, unless they are incapable (because of illness) of providing this.

NHS England

If you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us you can choose to complain to NHS England (who have replaced the former Primary Care Trust).

  • Telephone number: 0300 3112233
  • Email:
  • Write to: NHS Commissioning Board, PO BOX 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

You can also contact the Customer Solution Centre (formally PALS) at this address.

Merseyside and Cheshire Health Advocacy Service

You may also wish to contact your local Merseyside and Cheshire Health Advocacy Service. This service supports patients who wish to pursue a complaint about any NHS treatment or care.

You can contact the Service by telephoning 080880 10389.

Taking it further

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome you may refer the matter to:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Tel 0345 0154033

Tel: 01244 389292 or Fax: 01244 650377

Or contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service

There are a supply of complaints forms and information leaflets available in the surgery.


Page updated: 28 November, 2017